Ensuring all print and digital content is readable, accurate, and ready for posting to the Times-Standard web page, and/or any ancillary products, including Facebook posts, and breaking news stories for the web page. Contribute content and work as part of the team in the newsroom.
- Assist the Managing Editor in all matters pertaining to the quality and smooth operation of the Times-Standard.
- Oversee night time content production of the newspaper, copy editing stories, headlines, cutlines, and double checking for duplicate AP stories.
- Work with the design hub to ensure the speedy, smooth, and accurate production of the all pages to assure all deadlines are met.
- Responsible for checking pages and proofs throughout the night for errors and work to correct them.
- Check all stories, headlines and captions for accuracy, fit, sense, and spelling. Rewrite ill-fitting and bad headlines and ensure that the design hub corrects them.
- Make sure that jumps and jumpheads exist and direct the reader to the right page.
- Make sure that every photo has a photo credit.
- Check date, page number, and folio on every page.
- Write headlines for standalone photo packages.
- Write front page and Page A2 promos.
- Editing and proofreading of breaking news copy.
- Contact the Assistant Managing Editor or Managing Editor after hours in the event of any unforeseen or unresolvable issue.
- Ensure that stories are posted to and appear on the website and social media in a timely manner. Edit any online version of the story so that it is chronologically consistent with the time of its online publication, ie, will “today” for print appear as “today” online?
- Supply, edit, and correct copy in special section content.
- Write a minimum of one story/column per week for publication in the Times Standard.
Physical Working Conditions:
● Stand 8%, walk 8% , sit 84% of shift