The Bay Area News Group (San Jose Mercury News/East Bay Times/Oakland Tribune) is seeking an integral piece for its sports team, someone who will help strategize, implement, manage and innovate content across every digital channel: our websites, newsletters, videos, live chats and podcasts; our Twitter, Facebook and Instagram presences. This person will work closely with the sports editing team and writers on improving our digital offerings and increasing our number of digital subscribers. #BANG ##Mid-Senior level
Duties will include...
* Managing the play of content across our websites and apps.
* Running our social channels and experimenting with new ones.
* Helping analyze key analytics and routinely sharing that information with the staff.
* Preaching an audience-first, engagement-heavy approach and showing others how that's done.
* Being the master of SEO, and maintaining best practices within our WordPress CMS.
* Helping take our podcast, newsletter and live chat games to another level.
* Working closely with our video team on creation, production and distribution.
* Working closely with our editors and writers on best practices of social, video, newsletters, podcasts, live chats, linking and SEO.
* Bringing a content marketer's eye to promotion, branding and user experience.
* Bringing an editor's eye to headlines, leads, subject lines, promos, etc.
* Jumping in on aggregation or reporting assignments when needed.
* Contributing ideas for stories, videos, special packages, unique subscriber deals, etc.
If you’re the right candidate, your experience, interviews, social channels and reference checks will convince us that you have a powerful mix of these things:
* Solid news judgment.
* A passion for social media.
* 3-5 years of progressively challenging work in a digital journalism environment.
* The ability to work collaboratively across multiple teams and publishing platforms in a fast-paced digital environment.
* Good knowledge of digital content tools and systems and the ability to train journalists to use them most effectively.
* Experience using analytics tools, including Google Analytics, Parse.ly and Chartbeat.
* Familiarity with and interest in sports is a must; familiarity with Bay Area sports a big plus.
* Willingness to adapt schedule around major events (NBA Finals, BCS title game at Levi's Stadium, NHL All-Star Game, NCAA Sub-Regional in San Jose, U.S. Open at Pebble Beach).
* Willingness to work nights and weekends.
Bay Area News Group is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for all job openings are welcome and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any other basis protected by state, federal or local law. It is the intent of the Company to comply with all applicable federal, state and local legislation concerning equal opportunity in employment will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.